REL 212/SE Subwoofer
quality meets quantity
REL believe in quality first, not simply power and boom. They believe that 1,000 watts is only desirable if it’s conveyed with speed and control. Which is why the 212/SE was engineered to not only make your heart pound and walls shake, but restore midrange warmth and harmonic structure, while providing a powerful, rich low-end. This combination of speed, power and grace driving multiple room modes (forward, down and rear) makes it ideally suited for high end 2-channel, grand rooms and dedicated theaters, allowing larger state of the art speakers to spring to full voice.
twin continuous cast™ alloy bass engines
To produce their highest output single-box solution, REL doubled up on the Continuous CastTM Alloy Bass Engines that bring critical acclaim to Serie S, altering them slightly for this twin front-firing configuration. These twin actives are responsible for 212/SE’s incredible speed and tactility. REL's Continuous CastTM Alloy Cones reduce moving mass while maintaining rigidity, producing far more speed and precision than prior designs. These twin long-stroke 12″ bass engines, partnered with (2) matching 12″ passives provide the speed quality of a REL with a power never felt before. This combination offers the driven surface area of twin 17” drivers in a cabinet just 16” wide.
dual continuous cast allow passive radiator
The 212/SE uses two matching Continuous Cast Alloy passives that are stiff, lightweight and incredibly well behaved. REL's approach to passive design results in performance more akin to a variable ratio driver size – as more power and deeper bass is demanded, the passive comes to life, gradually expanding the capabilities of the active engines. The down firing passive produces deep, floor-crawling bass that makes a room shudder. Mounted above the amplifier panel on the rear is the second passive. This unit produces wrap around “atmospheric” bass that adds air and shimmer to the sound. Coupling with either the rear wall or the rear corner of a room allows for bass to develop exceedingly long wavefronts and adds an ease and effortless quality unique to single-box designs.
nextgen3 1,000W digital amplifier
Beyond REL's proprietary drivers, the performance of a REL is determined by their unique input filters and amplifiers. 212/SE harnesses a simple filter-type that is very fast—about 8 milliseconds in group delay– to cross out unwanted higher frequencies to the driver. This speed and gentle crossover slopes allow for seamless blending of RELs with the main speakers. RELs do not include a high pass filter to cross out bass from the main speaker because to do so would generally produce more unwanted effects than the minor benefits such a design confers. 212/SE’s power amplifier is a powerful NextGen3 1,000W (1,700 peak) digital amplifier. The Herculean design allows each driver to output over 110 dB with ease–power enough to drive very large rooms to very high output.
longbow zero-compression wireless
LongBow permits very fast, uncompressed bass to be sent wirelessly within the same room approximately 45 feet (somewhat dependent upon room clutter). REL have selected an uncompressed format as it results in natural, quick delivery compared with conventional wi-fi or Bluetooth systems. LongBow also offers both high level (or low level with crossover intact) AND .1 channel delivery so that REL Theatre Reference performance can be maintained even when using the wireless delivery system.
- (2) Front-firing active drivers, (1) rear passive, (1) down-firing passive
- active driver size & material: (2) 12 in., 300mm long-throw, Continuous CastAlloy™ cone structure, cast chassis
- passive radiator size & material: (2) 12 in., 300mm Continuous CastAlloy™ cone structure, cast chassis
- low frequency extension: -6dB at 19 Hz
- Input connectors: High Level Neutrik Speakon, Low Level stero RCA, LFE RCA, SMA for wireless antenna
- Power output: 1,000 watts (RMS)
- amplifier type: NextGen3 Class D
- wireless capability: Longbow (Optional), Zero Compression, Individual discrete D/A and A/D Encoders
- fully electronic set safe
- D.C. fault
- output short
- mains input voltage: 220-240 volts, 1120-120 volts for certain markets
- fuses: 7 Amp semi delay 220 volts operation, 15 Amp semi delay 120 volts operation
- Width 17.5", Height 32", Depth 20"
- Width 444.5mm, Height 815.5mm, Depth 507mm
- net weight: 122 lbs. (55.3 kg)
- finish: Piano Black Lacquer, 8 coats
- mains lead
- neutrik speakon (10 metres nominal)
- user manual