REL S/510 Subwoofer
For S/510, every aspect of the previous generation’s inner workings were examined without regard to its critical and customer-driven success. REL turned a fresh eye to power requirements, driver improvements, and specialty filters, upgrading each-to extract all the extra performance possible. All this alongside the cabinet refinements necessary for those upgrades to emerge cleanly. This latest S range is a triumphant development that has exceeded every expectation of REL's design team.
The requirements were for far stronger deep bass output between 20-35 Hz, vastly improved theatre dynamics, and an even more open and spacious soundfield which benefits both music and film. REL turned to their NextGen3 amplifier, tuned to 500 watts with substantial reserves of power, added a light film of carbon fibre to the rear of the driver to handle the extra power, and developed two new sets of custom filters to extract the utmost in brute force and spaciousness. Finally, they imbued S/510 with the ability to be stacked in 4- or 6-unit line arrays, just like their reference models.
S/510's bass engine
S/510 required upgrades to its ContinuousCast™ Alloy Cone to allow it to survive its massive power upgrades. To permit its thin, aluminum cone to survive 500 watts and incredibly long stroke, REL added an ultra-lightweight backing of pure carbon fibre strategically placed over portions of the rear surface of the cone. This produces two benefits; it strengthens and stiffens the cone and also eliminates reversion, wherein the backwave inside the cabinet is now prevented from interfering with the main launch of bass into the room. The result is more accurate and far louder deep bass.
superprogressive™ passive radiator
REL's uniquely tuned passive radiators use special suspensions, now with an additional 8mm of linear travel, to produce performance unlike conventional subwoofers. Their new SuperProgressive™ passive radiator produces extremely long travel allowing for very loud output while retaining the variable stiffness of its suspension. This allows it to act like a sealed box compact 12” design at low volumes and a high output 14” design at its limit.
At 500 watts the NextGen3 amplifier is borrowed from REL's former flagship model and produces huge reservoirs of power and current. The 20%+ increase in power (previous version was 400 watts) is needed to deliver the high output levels needed for modern theatre, as well as to produce the extremely deep bass in a high end 2-channel system. This increase in power is necessitated by the development on the musical front of an all-new circuit termed PerfectFilter™ that balance both frequency extremes.
PerfectFilter performs two seemingly disparate qualities; extending the strong, even response of the extreme low end of bass frequencies while simultaneously opening up air and delicacy in the middle and high frequencies of one’s system. Additionally, REL applied customized PureTheatre™ filters to allow S/510 to keep up with modern theatre effects without breaking a sweat.
serie s line arrays
In the real world, bass occurs with width, depth and height. By stacking up to three units per side (stereo or theatre main L-R speakers) the proper perspective and height of sonic events are illuminated. This elevates reproduction from conventional stereo or theatre to a floor to ceiling panoramic, full scale perspective of each sonic event. Reviewers are lining up to marvel at the transformation of music and film into the full-scale representation that REL Line Arrays uniquely deliver.
- Front-firing active woofer, down-firing passive radiator
- active driver size & material: 10 in., 250mm long-throw, die cast aluminium chassis
- passive radiator size & material: 12 in., 300mm
- low frequency extension: 20Hz at -6 dB
- input connectors: High Level Neutrik Speakon, Low Level stereo RCA, LFE RCA, LFE XLR
- output connectors: Hi Level Neutrik Speakon, LFE RCA, LFE XLR
- power output: 500 watts (RMS)
- amplifier type: NextGen3 Class D
- wireless capability: Yes- REL AirShip system [required]. Sold separately.
- fully electronic set safe
- D.C. fault
- output short
- mains input voltage: 220-240 volts, 110-120 volts for certain markets
- fuses: 5 Amp semi delay 220 volts operation 9 Amp semi delay 120 volts operation
- Width 15.7", Height 16", Depth 18.25". Add 1.75" in depth when using Hi Level connector
- Width 400mm, Height 410mm, Depth 464 mm. Add 44.5mm in depth when using Hi Level connector
- net weight: 70 lbs. (31.7 kg)
- finish: Piano Black Lacquer, White Lacquer, 10 coats
- mains lead
- neutrik speakon
- user manual